Building an ecommerce website that attracts shoppers, simplifies the purchase process, and protects customer data, is within your reach with guidelines from the Vudu Digital team.
Let's start with a quick overview of platform options for ecommerce websites. You can choose from:
- A quick and easy solution like Shopify or Wix, that, like public transport, can get your customers to their destination, but without much input from you.
- Open-source tools like Magento or WooCommerce are much like driving your own car. You have more control over your store and the customer experience, but you must learn to operate and maintain the platform.
- A full-service, customised solution that's akin to having a chauffeur. You have the flexibility to take your store (and your customers) anywhere you want to go with a professional managing the service.
Which approach is right for you? We recommend answering the following questions:
- Do you want to include custom features like specialised shipping or payment integration in your store?
- Do you want an ecommerce website that stands out from the crowd and showcases your unique assortment?
- Do you have funds to invest in building an ecommerce website that powers up your online sales?
If you’re nodding ‘yes’ to these questions, you’ve likely outgrown off-the-shelf tools. And while open-source solutions provide more flexibility, their challenges are worth noting as you make your decision.
Cautions About Open-Source Ecommerce Platforms
Most of us could learn to drive a Porsche Cayman and would likely enjoy the eventual journey down the open road. But the process will take time, energy, and more than a bit of trial-and-error to get a smooth ride. Open-source ecommerce sites are a similar experience.
They’re complex to operate
- You're responsible for keeping up with software maintenance, tracking, and uploading updates and patches.
- You're also in charge of keeping the site compliant with changing regulations and laws about customer privacy and protection.
- Although many open-source platforms have security features, it’s up to you to research and select the plug-ins that align with your company’s security protocols.
- Open-source solutions are challenging to scale as your company grows and often difficult to integrate with 3rd party add-ons.
They can contain hidden costs
- If you want any customisation to your ecommerce site, you’ll likely need to hire a web developer for support.
- You may need your web developer on speed dial to handle software upgrades, ensure that plug-ins function properly, and make platform adjustments to keep pace with growth.
They require ongoing management
- Although open-source platforms promote flexibility, implementation usually requires professional technical support to get a solution that’s compatible with existing systems.
- The implementation may also include the development of patches and integration programming.
Can you take on creating your ecommerce website with an open-source platform? Absolutely. But the time spent managing ecommerce software may draw you away from other essential business building activities. A proprietary solution crafted and maintained by digital experts who can keep your store running with ease represents a more enjoyable ride.
To learn more about e-commerce sites built by the Vudu Digital team, connect with us today!